In typical May 2-4 fashion, mother nature decided to throw us for a loop. We've been pretty lucky weather-wise to date - this would have been our 4th annual May 2-4 group trip - and we've only had one bad year until now! I guess it's 50-50 at this point!
Last year was a beautiful weekend, we skipped rocks in the ocean, flew a kite, lounged in a hammock and had bonfires both nights we were there. Soooo I guess we should have expected a little adverse weather this year, cuz ya can't have it perfect all the time - this is Newfoundland after all! But I mean this? this is a bit extreme!
|20-35 cm of SNOW expected to accumulate by Sunday morning|
For any of you unaware, Fogo is smack dab in the middle of all that red business and requires a 1 hour 15 minute ferry ride. Ergo, Snowfall warning + Marine wind and high waves warning = cancelled trip :( Sadness... In any case, we'll still be celebrating May 2-4 in town, no need for the weekend to be a total flop!
Now, with all that off my chest (sorry for the extra long intro this time, I'm clearly dealing with some things today lol)... let's get down to the deliciousness of this recipe!
I know right?! Looks nommerz! Very simple and very tasty.
- 1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Celery
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 2 tbsp Fat
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water with 1 pkg Beef Oxo OR 1/2 cup Beef Stock
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 can Corn, drained
- 1 tbsp Melted Butter
- 2 1/2 cups hot Mashed Potatoes (peel left on if desired)
1) Saute onion and celery in fat until onion is transparent.
2) Add flour and beef and brown. Drain off excess fat.
3) Add broth or dissolve oxo in boiling water; add salt and pepper. Add to the beef mixture.
4) Turn into baking dish and cover with corn.
5) Top with mashed potatoes and brush with melted butter.
6) Bake uncovered 30 minutes at 375 degrees!