If you're looking for a crowd-pleasing recipe, your search stops here - Fee Fi Faux Fried Chicken is wicked! There's a bit of work involved, and you will have to get your hands dirty, but that's half the fun! Definitely adding this recipe to my favourites. Serve this Looneyspoons recipe up with some corn-on-the-cob and homemade scalloped potatoes (The Greater Scalloped Potater) and you'll be loving life.
- 1 cup Corn Flake Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Marjoram
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 Chicken legs, de-skinned and separated into thighs and drumsticks.
- 2 tbsp of melted Butter
1) First thing's first, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2) Remove the skin and excess fatty bits from the chicken legs and cut them in half where the thigh meets the drumstick. Rinse the chicken, then pat dry with a paper towel. Put these aside until they're needed for dipping.
3) Next prep your coating. In a shallow dish mix together the corn flake crumbs, Parmesan, paprika, marjoram, thyme, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder black pepper and cayenne pepper.
|As you can see there's a whole lotta flavour packed into the coating!|
4) Next pour buttermilk into a second shallow dish. Then the flour in a third shallow dish. Finally, prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
5) Now you're ready to dip! Working one at a time, dip the chicken in the buttermilk to moisten all sides - shake off excess buttermilk. Dip chicken in the flour, be sure to coat all sides - shake off excess flour. Dip the chicken in the buttermilk again, then coat with the corn flake mixture. Got it? No? Let me break it down with pictures ;)
Dip in buttermilk - shake it off
Dip in flour - shake it off
then Cornflake mixture.
6) Place chicken piece on prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between chicken pieces. Using a small spoon drizzle, melted butter evenly over chicken.
Note: I skipped the butter step and they still turned out delish!
7) Bake uncovered at for 35-40 minutes until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear.