Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Date Squares

Dunno about you, but I'm ready for this week to be over!! Nothing dramatic happening, just really looking forward to some lazy times on the weekend! Since this has been, and continues to be, a rather drawn out week, I think I... sorry WE, deserve a delicious treat! And at the moment, I would love nothing more than a warm, fresh outta the oven date square - the proper comfort food. Using my momma's recipe, I whipped these up for my visiting fam a little while ago and am wishing I had some more, they're just sooooo tasty!!




Ingredients:

Filling:  
  • 3 cups chopped Dates
  • 1 1/2 cups Water
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar

Crumb mixture:
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 cup Butter
  • 1 3/4 cups Flour
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 1/2 cups Rolled Oats

Instructions:

1) Filling: Place all ingredients in a pot and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.

2) Crumb: Grease 9" x 13" pan. Mix together dry ingredients until mixture appears crumbly.  Press half of the mixture in bottom of pan.  Cover with date mixture. 

3) Top with remainder of crumb mixture and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown (approx. 35 minutes). Cool slightly before serving.

MmmmmMMMMmmmm!!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes the BEST date squares, really a keeper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a craving lately for date squares and I couldn't find my recipe anywhere! Found this on Pinterest and it's almost identical to the one I had - the only difference is mine called for a bit of orange juice. I just swapped out 1/4 cup water for the juice and it came out perfect! Love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best date squares ever thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete