Friday, July 11, 2014

Baked Brie with Figs & Honey



Don't you love it when you walk into the grocery store for 1 thing and come out with 1 cartload? Yeah me neither, well at least my bank account doesn't like it, I'm usually pretty smitten with all my new goodies. In any case, that happened to me a couple of weeks back as I popped into Sobey's for a few last minute ingredients for supper, when all of a sudden I spied FRESH FIGS!! You don't even understand how excited I was... well actually in my mind I was freaking out, while on the exterior I was playing it cool, as to not draw attention to the rare and limited find!

Needless to say, my few items turned into my few items plus 6 precious little figs, crusty bread, double-creme brie and pure happiness. So again, I must reiterate, if you are a fig fan like me, please run, not walk to your nearest grocery store and scour those refrigerated produce racks, they won't be in season forever!


On a side note, this was the first time I've ever tried a fresh fig. Part of my excitement came from the fact that I have never been able to find these little suckers any time I've ever required them in a recipe - just the dried variety. Anywho, below is just one of the many recipes you can follow to enjoy your fresh figs to the fullest! I could certainly go for some more of this right about now!

Just look at all that melty goodness!
Ingredients:
  • Fresh Figs
  • Small round of Double Creme Brie
  • Candied Pecans
  • Raisins
  • Honey 
  • Crusty Bread, sliced and toasted


Instructions:

Slice away the top waxy layer of your Brie. Layer it with quartered sections of your figs, then add a handful of candied pecans, a handful of raisins, and a drizzling of honey across the top. Bake at 350 degrees F, in a preheated oven, until the brie is oozing and irresistible. Serve with toasted slices of crusty bread! Note: If you don't have any 'fancy' bread, cheap hot dog buns will work in a pinch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment