Thursday, February 5, 2015

Copycat PK's Pizza Fingers


I can picture it now, lunch time at my old elementary school. Dozens of kids would swarm to the main entrance to find delivery guys from the local restaurants arriving with bags of take-out. Believe me when I say, there was nothing more exciting than waiting for your name to be called. Now, it was pretty rare for me to get in on this action, as my mom usually packed my lunch, but on the wonderful occasions that I did, there was only one thing I would request - pizza fingers and fries from PK's!

Roughly two decades later, I'm still smitten with pizza fingers. So smitten that I just had to try my best to replicate the recipe at home. My first few attempts, while tasty, weren't quite right. They were baked (because I didn't own a deep frier) and leaked a lot as they cooked. However, as soon as I got a deep frier for Christmas, I was able to test them the way they were intended. I'll be honest, when I took that first bite of my legit deep fried pizza finger, my 8 year old self lost it. I had succeeded!



Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg of Egg Roll Wrappers (you can find these in the fridges in the produce section)
  • 1 stick of Pepperoni, thinly sliced
  • 1 block of Mozzarella Cheese, cut into chunks
  • Roughly 8oz (1 cup) of your favourite pizza sauce (I used Primo, but I'm also a fan of Unico!)
  • small dish of water to seal the pizza fingers

Instructions:

1) Take egg roll wrappers one at a time. First add a little less than 1 tbsp of sauce to the centre of the wrapper. Next add your cheese. Finally add your pepperoni and begin rolling.

 

2) Roll your pizza finger, following the pictures below:


The double tuck helps keep the sauce from squishing out all over the place as you roll.


Tuck the tip into the pocket



3) Dip your finger into the dish of water and run it along the point of the egg roll. Seal the point onto the roll.



 4) Last but not least, in a deep frier heated to 350 degrees, Fry pizza fingers until golden brown (3-5 mins)

Before

After!!

5) Allow pizza fingers to drain on paper-towel and serve.



And there you have it. If you're originally from Bonavista or the Bonavista area and are no longer living there... you're welcome! You can eat PK's pizza fingers all day every day. These take no time at all to prep and you get way more than you would ever order! ;)


3 comments: