Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Obi Wonton Kenobi



This is yet another successful recipe from The Looneyspoons Collection. Surprise ...not! I've learned pretty much anything I cook from that book will taste phenomenal and have a super corny awesome name... like this one :)

But I'll be honest, when I read through the ingredients I was very skeptical as to whether I would I like it. However, I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. Just looking back through these photos makes me drool! This is pretty much the perfect soup to make for anyone you want to impress. The prep work is easy (just repetitive), and the cook time is less than 10 minutes. It's by far the tastiest wonton soup I've ever had!



Ingredients:



Filling
Filling pre-mix
  • 1 cup (8oz) ground chicken or turkey (I used turkey)
  • 1/4 cup minced green onion
  • 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp grated gingerroot
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 30 wonton wrappers (Tip: These are found in the produce section)



Filling post-mix
Broth
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
  • 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp grated gingerroot





Instructions:
  1. Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well.
  2. Working one at a time, place 1 tsp of filling in centre of wonton wrapper. Fold to enclose filling, making a triangle. Moisten edges and press down to seal. Bring the two points of the base of the triangle around filling, overlap them, moisten and press together. Place filled wonton on a tray and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining wontons. (See wonton step photos below)
  3. To cook wontons, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add wontons. Stir once or twice to prevent wontons from sticking together. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove wonton using slotted spoon. Drain well. (Tip: I actually boiled my wontons for approximately 7 minutes just to ensure the turkey was fully cooked and they came out perfect)
  4. To make soup, bring broth to a boil in a medium pot. Add onion, basil, soy sauce, sesame oil and gingerroot. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
  5. To serve soup, place 5 wontons in the bottom of each soup bowl. Ladle hot broth over wontons and serve immediately.

Wonton prep:
If you're slow like me, you'll need to allow 30 minutes or more to wrap the wontons. I recommend a batch approach - lay out 6 wrappers, place filling in each, fold each wonton, then seal with a wonton hug. Once I started the batch approach I was able to work a lot quicker.

Note: If you have more wontons than you know you can eat, don't boil them, freeze the extras for another meal. Once you've finished with the broth, bottle it to serve with your leftover wontons. Prepare the leftovers as instructed in the recipe above and it's like you're eating a freshly prepared meal.
All wrapped and ready for a hot bath!


Bubbling away in the pot.

Ready to Eat :)

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! I love the Looneyspoons Cookbook but haven't come across this recipe yet!
    Definitely trying this next! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a keeper, have been making it for years.

    ReplyDelete