Brace yourself for one of thee most AMAZING scalloped potato recipes you've ever had. I'm serious. You're not gonna believe the flavour of these things. I admit, they're not the prettiest things you've ever seen, but the taste is out of this world. I've made it a couple of times now and each time I'm blown away by how good it is, in fact my hubby told me today that I make, and I quote 'the best scalloped potatoes ever, in the world!'. In the meantime, I may be able to pull off the recipe well, but the real praise goes to The Looneyspoons. Thanks again for yet another amazing dish!
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely diced Canadian Bacon
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 can (14oz/370mL) 2% evaporated milk
- 1.5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1.2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese (3oz/85g)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4 large thin-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, very thinly sliced (about 2.5lbs/1.1kg)
1) Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
|Onions, garlic and oil|
2) Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes.
|What's Shitake about...|
3) Add bacon and thyme. Cook and stir for 1 more minute.
|you can never go wrong with bacon!|
|This alone would be incredible on pizza, poutine, chicken, anything!|
4) Whisk together milk, broth, flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Add to pot with onion-mushroom mixture. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and has thickened, about 5 minutes.
|Nice and thick|
5) Remove from heat. Add Cheddar and Parmesan and stir until cheeses are melted.
6) Spray a medium casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer 1/3 potatoes over bottom, overlapping as necessary. Spoon 1/3 sauce over potatoes. Repeat layering two more times, ending with sauce.
|Please ignore my peel-less spuds, got a little overzealous during prep!|
7) Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour, 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 more minutes, or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender. Let stand 15 minutes to cool before serving. It's hot!