- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 sliced celery stalks
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper, thyme
- 1/2 pkg. fettuccine noodles
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1/4 cup chicken broth
- mozzarella cheese
1) First start by preparing your pasta in salted water - remember this can be cooking on the stove while you create your sauce. Once noodles are al dente strain to prevent overcooking and rinse immediately to prevent noodles from forming one nasty big clump. Note: Your pasta may be finished before the sauce however it's fine if it cools slightly as everything will be combined and baked in the oven anyway.
2) To start your sauce, melt butter in a large pan; add onion, garlic, celery and cook for 5 minutes until onions appear translucent.
3) Add salt, pepper, thyme and mushrooms and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
4) Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Then, whisk in milk and broth cooking an additional 10-15 minutes until sauce thickens. (Please see photos as a reference)
5) Once sauce has reached desired thickness, pour it into a large casserole dish. Now you're ready to combine all ingredients, starting with the pasta.
6) Next add your leftover chicken or turkey and mix throughout
7) Finally, sprinkle with enough shredded mozzarella to coat the top of the dish, adding a sprinkle of parsley as garnish if desired.
8) Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 mins. Then it's done like dinner and ready to eat!