Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fall Squash Salad

I've never been big on salads. Sure, I enjoy the odd Caesar, and I do love Wendy's apple chicken pecan salad too, but I've never been the type to crave salads (unless we're talking cold plates here, but that's a whole different ballgame altogether!)

Either way, my opinion on salads changed yesterday when I cooked up a warm squash salad, something I literally dreamed up a few nights before. If you're anything like me and you don't enjoy cold salads on a cold day, this is the perfect salad for those cooler Autumn days. It actually felt like comfort food - a salad?! Yeah, I know right?! Weird! Needless to say, I will be making this over and over this Fall.



Ingredients: Serves 2 (all measurements are approximate)
  • approximately 1/2 Butternut Squash, cubed
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • approximately 1/4 tsp each Cumin & mild Curry Powder
  • 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tbsp Butter
  • 2 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 1 medium sized Onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 giant handfuls of Mixed Greens (this would be great on just Spinach too)
  • handful of Pumpkin Seeds
  • 1/2 small tube of Goat's Cheese - I used Fig Spread, my new favourite Goat's Cheese ever!

Instructions:

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Next spread cubed butternut squash over tinfoil covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, mild curry powder and oil. Use your hands to mix everything together until all pieces of squash are coated. Bake for 20 minutes, then test for seasoning and doneness of the squash, flip the squash and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.

2) Caramelize the onions in a pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until translucent and slightly browned. Set aside.

3) Heat butter and oil in pan. Add 2 sliced chicken breasts, salt and pepper, then fry until completely cooked.

4) Wash and dry the greens (even if you've purchased pre-washed, can't be too safe these days). Pile a heaping handful onto each plate. Next add your onions, then your butternut squash, your pumpkin seeds and then your chicken. Top with crumbled bits of goat's cheese.

I absolutely love this salad, and the hubby does too! He was even disappointed I didn't make enough for leftovers. Craziness I tell ya! Also, did I mention, the smoothness of the squash and the creaminess of the goat's cheese means no need for salad dressing? It's that good! I hope you like it! :)


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this. I got lots of fresh squash in the garden. I love your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words! I hope you enjoy the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete