- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 can (19oz) Sliced Pineapple
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 8-12 Cherries
- 1 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Shortening
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter in 9inch square pan in oven (or if you're me and seem to have misplaced your square pan, substitute with whatever you have, heart-shaped pans are fun!)
2) In the meantime, drain the pineapple, reserving 2 tbsp of the juice. Once butter has melted, remove from oven and stir the reserved juice into the butter.
3) Next, sprinkle the butter/juice mixture evenly with brown sugar. Arrange pineapple slices in butter mixture and place a cherry in the centre of each slice. Now you know what's in that magical tasting goo that surrounds the pineapple :D
4) Cream shortening and sugar. Then blend in the egg and vanilla.
5) In a separate bowl, prepare your flour mixture by combing flour, salt and baking powder.
6) Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture, finally adding your milk once the dough has thickened.
7) Scoop dough onto your pineapple and try to spread as evenly as possible. Bake at 350 until inserted toothpick comes out clean (approximately 20 - 30 minutes).
8) Once your cake has cooled slightly, carefully flip it onto a platter, slice it up, serve it up and don't think about the calories ;)
|Mmmmm fluffy, moist (sorry if you hate that word), deliciousness!|