Monday, June 3, 2013

Felafels!




This past summer, I created a list of 'foods to try'. Between Facebook's 'Food List Challenge' and my own little list, I've tried several new dishes and discovered there are many foods I had never tried that I really enjoy! Felafels are on that list. After giving them a-go at Extreme Pita, I got all brave about it and decided to try out the Looneyspoons recipe I had. As usual, the Looneyspoons did not disappoint! I should also mention, I wasn't the only one who enjoyed... my husband - self-proclaimed meat eater - absolutely loved them! He said, and I quote, 'I would eat these any day of the week!' This coming from a man who cringes when we plan our weekly meals and I get to a meat free meal! So I encourage everyone to give these a try, great idea for meat-eaters and vegetarians alike!




Ingredients:

  • 1 can (19oz/540mL) No-Salt-Added Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup diced Red Onions (I used Shallots)
  • 3 tbsp each minced fresh Cilantro and Parsley
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
  • 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 tbsp Tahini
  • 1 tsp minced Garlic
  • 1 tsp ground Cumin
  • 1/2 tsp each ground Coriander, Chili Powder and Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 2 tbsp Olive Oil, divided



Instructions:
1) Add all ingredients except olive oil to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off, occasionally scraping down the sides of bowl, until mixture is consistency of very thick cookie dough. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (it will firm up).
Note: If you're using an itty bitty food processor like me, you will likely need to remove half the mixture to achieve the necessary consistency.
























2) Using about 2 tbsp "dough" per patty, form mixture into 15 balls. Using your hands, flatten balls slightly to form 2-inch patties.



3) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the patties to skillet, cover and cook for about 3 to 4 minute per side, until patties are lightly browned and heated through. Be careful not to burn them. Remove patties from skillet and keep warm. Cook remaining patties in remaining 1 tbsp of oil. Patties will firm up a bit if left to cool slightly before serving. Serve warm.



Note from the Looneyspoons:
Falafel patties taste great when served topped with tzatziki sauce, hummus (try roasted red pepper hummus) or tahini-yogurt sauce. You can stuff falafel patties into whole-grain pita bread with chopped veggies and a dollop of sauce for a filling vegetarian lunch or dinner. We like to eat the cold, leftover patties topped with a spoonful of hummus for a healthy snack.

Note from the Food Diva:
If you don't have any of the above suggested sauces, give peanut butter a try! Sounds bizarre, but it actually complimented the rest of the flavours of the pita nicely! We used cucumber to achieve a refreshing taste. Overall, de-lish!


1 comment: