Thursday, January 23, 2014

Zucchini Pickles


This past Fall, I had a mini panic attack about my future with traditional 'Newfie' foods. I realized that much of my generation, though not really at a settled age yet, aren't doing the traditional Newfoundland activities that my older relatives have always done. For example, moose hunting... I know very few people my age who go each season, or at all - I personally have never gone. So how the heck am I supposed to get my feed of moose, when my older relatives stop going?

The same goes for many other seasonal traditions like growing my own veggies, picking berries, making homemade jams and pickles - even baking my own bread. There are so many things that I feel I need to start learning/doing now, so they're not lost. I would hate to see the day, when I'm looking back at the 'good old days' when all I would have to do is hint that I was getting low on moose, then suddenly have my pick of my uncle's freezer... or when I would be dying for a taste of my Nan's beets or some pickles and have no idea where to start.

I consider myself lucky to have realized this as a 20-something, and plan to take as many opportunities as I can to learn while all the masters are still teaching. So with that sentiment in mind, I bring to you my great-aunt Patsy's recipe for Zucchini Pickles!


Ingredients: 
  • 2 Zucchinis (approx 8inch each)
  • 2 lbs Onions, diced
  • 3 Green Peppers, diced
  • 2 Red Peppers, diced
  • 1/2 cup Salt 
  • 1 tbsp. Turmeric
  • 2 tbsp. Mustard Seed 
  • 1 tbsp Celery Seed 
  • 6 cups White Sugar 
  • 4 cups Vinegar 
  • 3 - 4 tbsp Cornstarch



Instructions:

1) Dice zucchinis, onions and peppers. Add them to a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight with salt. 



2) Next morning drain off water and add remaining ingredients, except cornstarch. Boil for 25 minutes. Add cornstarch in cold water to thicken (you can also use flour, but you may need more than the suggested 3-4 tbsps).

Before
After



And that's it! Who knew it was so easy?! Aside from a little chopping, and the bottling process, it takes very little effort!




*side/funny story: Not long after Facebook came on the scene (I feel so old saying that), I received and declined a few 'friend requests' from a lady named Patricia... I kept thinking 'why does she keep requesting that I add her? I have no idea who she is?!' Noticing she shared the same last name as my nan, I asked my mom about her to see if she might know who it is... turns out it was my aunt Patsy!! Until that point I had no idea Patsy was short for Patricia?! You learn something new every day I guess ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment