I was first introduced to this delicious sandwich back when I started dating my hubby. The first time he made it for me, I was both intrigued (because I'd never seen anything like it), and amazed (because it tasted so good!). Both the hub and his brothers know it as 'dad's sandwich', because their dad is of course the person who first concocted it.
Not only is it super easy to make, and not only is it sooo good, it's also great for any meal of the day whether you're looking for a hearty breakfast, a quick dinner or a yummy supper! It also just happens to be what I had for supper this evening :)
- Polish Sausage, cubed
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup of easy melting grated cheese (we used 1/2 cup medium cheddar, 1/2 cup sharp)
- Miracle Whip
- 4 slices of bread (we used store bought whole wheat, but it's incredible on homemade if you have it!)
- Brown sausage in pan.
- Add chopped veggies and saute until they begin to soften approx 6-10mins. Note: You may need to add a bit of oil to the pan if the sausage doesn't produce any excess fat.
- Stir in cheese, mixing until it coats the veggies and sausage. Reduce heat and simmer.
- In the meantime, toast 4 slices of the bread of your choice and slather with Miracle Whip.
- Divide the delicious melty concoction onto the 4 pieces of toast (this is more of an open-faced sandwich). Slice on an angle and chow down.
|Step 2: Saute the Veggies|
|Step 3: Stir in the Cheese|
|Step 3 continued: Observe the ooey gooey goodness!|
We've already decided the next time we have this 'sandwich', we're going to test it out grilled cheese style! I'll let you know how it goes.