Monday, June 4, 2012

Tom Yum - Check!

Slurpin back some Tom Yum
1 down, 9 to go baby! That's right my friends, tonight I'm 1 step closer to meeting my 10-new-foods-over-the-summer goal. First item to check off my Food List Challenge - Tom Yum.

Now you may be looking at the photo above thinking... that doesn't look like any Thai Resatuarant I've been to! Or maybe you're thinking ...I guess she grabbed some take-out? Sadly neither. This Tom Yum came to me courtesy of the international section of my local grocery store.



Now I understand if you're concerned that I might not have gotten the full effect of a 'proper Tom Yum'; however, since St. John's lacks a Thai restaurant these days, it was really my only option.



I LOVE how prepared packaged foods never quite look the same as the box

Overall, I'm really glad I tried it. It was pretty tasty and even though it was a little spicy for my wimpy taste buds, I finished it all! Having said that, it was essentially noodles with a few dried veggies - a lot like Mr. Noodle I guess, but with a fancier broth. The versions I have seen online have shrimp or other sea creatures in them, so I guess this wasn't the full-on version, just something to give me a feel for it. I probably wouldn't buy a packaged version again, but I would definitely like to try an authentic, homemade or restaurant quality Tom Yum if the opportunity presents itself.




2 comments:

  1. That looks quite a nice dish. Noodles are like an everyday thing in Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delish :) Noodles are my fav!

    ReplyDelete