Monday, August 20, 2012

Blueberry Squares

This recipe comes to you courtesy of my wonderful mother, who, over the years, has had a knack of discovering and creating recipes I don't just love, I crave! These things are probably my favourite cookie ever - delicious cake with a fluffy meringue and blueberry topping - they melt in your mouth! I could seriously eat an entire tray in one sitting - no joke. So naturally, after a day of berry picking, I just had to make them, especially once I discovered my husband had never had them before?!




Ingredients

--> Cake portion:
  • 3 tbsps Butter (softened at room temperature)
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 2 egg yolks*
  • 2/3 cup Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 cup Milk
  • 1/4 tsp Vanilla
 
--> Meringue topping:
  • 2 egg whites*
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 6 tbsp Sugar 
  • 1 cup Blueberries (fresh is preferred)
*I just love that you use both parts of the egg, nothing worse than leftover yolks or whites that you then need to re-purpose somehow!

Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Starting with the cake, separate egg yolks and set egg whites in fridge until needed.
2) Cream butter and sugar.
3) Beat in yolks.


4) In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder & salt). Add dry ingredients to yolk mixture.


5) Add milk & Vanilla to mixture, once combined, spoon mixture unto greased 8 inch square pan (or something similar in size). Place in oven and bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean (15-20 minutes).

I should mention this photo is of a doubled batch!

6) In the meantime, prepare meringue topping. Beat egg whites until firm and standing in peaks.

Important: It should be firm enough to turn on its side w/o falling off the spoon.


7) Beat in sugar and salt.
8) Fold in berries with spatula. Note: Do not use mixer for this step or you'll have a blue mess.


So fresh and sweet!

9) Once cake portion is cooked, spoon the meringue mixture on top and return to oven until meringue is lightly browned (approximately 10-15 minutes). Cool before cutting.


Ready for some oven lovin'
perfectly golden :)

My pictures could never express the incredible experience of eating them so you'll just have to make them yourself and see what I'm talking about! Incredible.



8 comments:

  1. My mom made these for us too when we were growing up. They were my favourite!
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually can't wait til I go berry picking again this year so I can make this again! It's my fav too, especially with fresh picked blueberries! *drool* :P

      Delete
  2. Made these a couple times now - once with blueberries and the other time with partridgeberries. Both were yummy and was asked for the recipe each time. My Mom made these every year and I couldn't find her recipe but this one was a match. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Patridgeberries are a great idea as well.

      I was berry picking last weekend and will not be freezing my blueberries until I've made a batch of these! Thanks for the comment, it's always great to hear when someone finds a recipe they've been looking for :)

      Delete
  3. I have been making these for years and I have to say that you don't have to cook them in two stages. I have always baked the cake and meringue at the same time. They turn out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so good! Just wondering how you would store these? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete