Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pulled Pork Sandwich

Pulled Pork Sandwich

It was way back in December (2011) when I decided to start this blog - I set it up, named it, gave it a look and feel ...then completely and utterly ignored it for the next 4 months. Woops! That's not exactly how I saw this going. Either way, here I am posting my first official food entry, and what better way to start than with this delicious pulled pork sandwich! 

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich w/ Homemade Butternut Squash Fries


Dry Rub Ingredients
  • 3 tblsp paprika
  • 1 tblsp garlic powder
  • 1 tblsp brown sugar
  • 1 tblsp dry mustard
  • 3 tblsp coarse sea salt
  • 1 (5-7 lb) pork roast preferably shoulder or Boston Butt
Note: Marinating is a new thing for me, in fact this was the first thing I've ever marinated! Typically, I lack the patience for this step, but I've learned not to skip it, it's beyond worth it in the end!  
 
Phase 1: Marinate the Pork (minimum 1hr)
  1. Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
  2. Coat pork in the Rub mixture.
  3. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, or up to 24hrs

Phase 2: Roast the Pork (approx. 6hrs)
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. 
  2. Roast pork in roasting pan for approximately 6hours. Depending on the size of the roast, cooking times will vary. Essentially roast until it starts falling apart.
  3. Remove pork from roaster and let stand for 10 minutes
  4. Once the pork has rested, grab 2 forks and begin 'pulling' the meat into shreds and setting them aside in a bowl. Once completely shredded add the BBQ sauce** and stir until each piece is coated.
  5. Serve saucy pork on a fresh bun. 
**If you're substituting with a store-bought BBQ sauce be sure to heat the sauce before mixing it with the pork, as the pork will have cooled slightly by the time you reach this step.

This recipe came from the Food Network's Tyler Florence. Tyler's recipe included a Dry-Rub, Barbeque Sauce & Coleslaw. Unfortunately, due to a lack of ingredients at the last minute, I had to substitute Tyler's BBQ sauce with a store-bought favourite. Also, due to lack of interest, I opted to leave out the coleslaw. For anyone interested in the full recipe, you can find it here: Pulled Pork Barbecue.  

This recipe was sooooo good I could barely believe I made it in my own kitchen! We ate the sandwiches as shown but I've had them in the past with sauteed peppers and a pineapple ring, a great way to add some extra flavour!








No comments:

Post a Comment